I do my housecleaning on Mondays, so that I have a clean house as I start the week. I do a brief clean up on Fridays as well, but most of my cleaning happens on Mondays. Why? No matter how clean the place is on Friday, two days of relative neglect leaves our home a mess on Monday. If I'm going to have to clean on Mondays for the sake of my sanity anyway, I might as well make it my primary cleaning day.
What do I do on Mondays?
- Clean the Microwave
- Scrub the counters and stove top
- Dusting (including light fixtures)
All of these things get touch-ups during the week if needed. I also try to include a monthly or seasonal task every Monday (time permitting), such as mattress rotation, cleaning the car, filing/purging paperwork, cleaning the fridge, window washing etc.
During the rest of the week, there are certain things that I do as needed:
- Laundry, although Tuesday is my catch-up day for that
- Empty the trash (pick-up is on Thursday morning)
- Take recycling to the recycling center (not every week)
The rest of my weekly schedule involves
- Laundry on Tuesday (catching up, plus towels and sheets)
- Ironing on Wednesday (but I'm really bad about it)
- Shopping on Thursday (sales fliers come out on Thursday mornings in our area)
- Baking on Friday, along with touch-up cleaning in prep for the weekend
- Sabbath on Saturday
- Advance cooking for the week on Sunday
Because we avoid cooking on the Sabbath, I like having a baked good available for breakfast on Saturday morning, which makes Friday the perfect day to get the baking done.
While I do have to ignore the dust bunnies and clutter-drifts during the weekend, it feels really good to start off the week with a clean house!