This recipe was our main dish for dinner tonight, but I could totally eat this as a snack. It's pretty kid-friendly too.
A little oil (I used olive, but type really is up to you)
~1.5 c tomato sauce
~1 c grated cheese (I used cheddar, but again, type doesn't matter much)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds, and lay them out on a baking sheet. Brush them with a little oil, and pop them in the oven, close to the upper burner. Bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes, until their clearly toasted on top, but not burnt. Remove from oven.
- Ladle about a tablespoon or so of tomato sauce on each round. Don't worry about spreading the sauce over the slices, just a dollop in the middle will do.
- Sprinkle cheese generously over each slice.
- Put the baking sheet back in the oven. Broil at 400, close to the burner, for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired, and serve.