Tuesday, October 9, 2012

KTT: Storing Tomato Sauce

Last week I picked up a bag of over-ripe tomatoes on clearance.  I took them home and turned them into tomato sauce.  While I put half of the sauce into a large yoghurt container for the freezer, I tried something different with the rest.

I froze the rest of the sauce in a muffin tin (lined with an opened up plastic produce bag).  Once frozen and removed from the tin, the resulting pucks were stored in a plastic bag in the freezer.  Each one is perfect for a single serving of spaghetti and very easy to defrost.  It makes a quick, homemade lunch or dinner even quicker.  I can pop frozen sauce into a container of pasta, and it will be defrosted by the time DH is ready for lunch.  These pucks of tomato sauce are also wonderful for recipes that call for a little bit of tomato sauce, since I only have to defrost a little at a time.

It's a quick tip, but it's been a useful one for me.

This post has been linked to Works For Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family, Big Family Friday at Holy Spirit-Led Homeschooling, Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, and Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy's Recipes.

1 comment:

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

This is a clever idea! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!