Tuesday, March 19, 2013

KTT: Freezer Meal Tip

In the weeks leading up to the birth of our newest little one, I made a concerted effort to plan out, make, and freeze a weeks worth of meals for my first week post partum. This was my second time doing this, and the first time was a complete flop! Practice makes perfect, and this time worked better because I planned more and worked smarter. Here are some things that I did to make our freezer meals a success:

1. Anything baked in the oven I baked in a pan lined with wax paper. Once the food was frozen, I could then remove it from the pan. ETA: The comment below is correct. Parchment would have been a better choice.
2. After removing frozen food from the pan, I stored it in gallon sized zip bags.
3. I estimated how much of each dish we would use in a meal an froze and stored the food in family-sized portions. (For us, a 9x13 pan yields about two meals worth of servings, so I cut each dish in half before storing)
4. Leftovers can be returned to their zip bag for storage in the fridge.

Those who do a lot of freezer cooking probably already learned these lessons, but they really do make life easier! I know I picked up some of these ideas from other bloggers. Numbers 1 and 2 came from Tammy at Tammy's Recipes, where I've linked up this post for Kitchen Tip Tuesday.

This post has also been linked to Welcome Home at Raising Arrows, Works For Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family.

3 comments:

meditationsandbread.com said...

The wax paper thing is a really good one. I'd never heard of that.

Anything I can't freeze in a ziploc bag doesn't get frozen around here. I just don't have the freezer space.

Becca @ The Earthlings Handbook said...

I would use parchment paper instead of wax paper. Wax paper is not intended to be used at oven temperatures, so the wax might melt off onto your food. Parchment paper is supposed to be really safe...and sometimes the food comes off of it so neatly, you can use it again!

Harper said...

Good point, Becca! Thanks!